Vows and the Word of Faith

Vows and the Word of Faith

God loves vows. Throughout history, He has worked mighty miracles when people have made and fulfilled vows. There are many, many examples in Scripture of people making vows—Jacob (Genesis 28:20-22), Jephthah (Judges 11:30), Hannah (1 Samuel 1:11), David (Psalm 56:12), Solomon (Proverbs 7:14), Jonah (Jonah 2:9), and the apostle Paul (Acts 18:18).
There is power in a vow! And if making a vow is serious, then fulfilling your part of the vow is critical. God never forgets vows.

If you are facing an especially large challenge or a dangerous situation—financially or otherwise—not knowing what to do, not knowing where to turn, it may be time for you to consider making a vow before God.
It’s worth sharing these verses again:
“Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the Most High: And call upon Me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee, and thou shalt glorify Me” (Psalm 50:14-15).

What’s the significance of paying your vows?
My dear friend, the late Paul Crouch, told me about a situation a few years ago when he and Jan faced a very serious situation with the Trinity Broadcasting Network. In the midst of that looming problem, he went to a church in Southern California by himself. The building was empty as he walked in, got on his knees before God, and made a vow. That vow, according to Paul, literally saved TBN.

A Childhood Vow That Changed My Life      
As he was telling me this testimony, I was reminded once again of a vow I made as a child. I grew up in Israel where vows are normal. We grew up being taught that a vow made to God is important. I don’t remember hearing anyone teach about vows from the Bible, but it was such a part of our culture that I understood how serious and vital they were.


During the mid-1960s, as the situation grew tense around Jaffa, where we lived, and throughout Israel, my father decided to move our family to a safer place. Because he had been involved with the government of Israel in ways I didn’t know about until after he died, we were turned down.
 Israel2-BackEven as a child I was always religious and had a great reverence for the church. Though I wasn’t a Christian yet, I went to church every Sunday and served as an altar boy in the Greek Orthodox Church. I went to a Catholic school, as well, so we went to mass nearly every morning.
When the Israeli government told my father that we could not leave, our family was greatly disappointed. We felt defeated. My uncles had already emigrated. By then it was 1966, and the tension kept building. Then in 1967, the Six-Day War erupted, and we were under even more pressure as a family.
During that time, I made a decision to go by myself and pray in the Greek Orthodox Church. I was all alone as I talked to God. I said, “If You will get us out of Israel, I will give You a can of olive oil.”
I knew the church used olive oil for the lamps. Truthfully, I had no idea that vows were in the Bible. I had just heard people talking about making vows. And I was serious about what I said as I prayed and made my vow.
It was early 1968 by then, and I remember so vividly what happened. We received notice that the Israeli government had decided to allow us to emigrate. On the very same day, the Canadian Embassy also agreed to allow us into their country and guaranteed us passports. It was truly a miracle!
My mother told me to run and tell our father. I ran as hard as I could. I will never forget the sights and sounds. My father was standing in old Jaffa, right beside the house of Simon the Tanner, where Peter received the vision that changed his life. My father was meeting with some people there. I told him the good news, and our life changed completely from that point. In July of 1968 we moved to Canada.


“Where is the oil…?”        
 Not long afterward, as I lay on a bed in our new home in Toronto, I heard a Voice: “Where is the oil you promised?”
I didn’t recognize it as the Lord’s Voice, but I heard the Words as surely as anything. I quickly got out of bed, rushed to the store, and bought the largest container of olive oil I could get with the money I had and carried it to the Greek Orthodox Church in downtown Toronto.
I’ll never forget the look in the priest’s eyes as he watched this kid bringing in a big container of oil, setting it down, and hearing me say, “I made a vow to God. Here’s the oil.” And I walked out, leaving the poor fellow staring at me.
It was my first experience with making a vow to God, and what happened has stuck with me throughout my life.
I can look back to several dangerous moments since then when I have made a vow. And I can tell you that if you are facing an especially large challenge, not knowing what to do, it may be time for you to consider making a vow before God.